For our REALCOOL research project, examining new designs of water bodies that really keep their urban surroundings cool we have two vacancies. REALCOOL is a cooperation of urban/ landscape design specialists and urban meteorologists. The project will commence after the summer break 2016 and will take two years.
We are looking for
A postdoc (full time, two years) with a background in Urban Design or in Landscape Architecture. The postdoc will work on the REALCOOL research project that also lasts two years and that we conduct together with the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HvA). The project is funded within the STW ‘Research Through Design’ programme. The REALCOOL project deals with the fact that existing urban water bodies often create an unwanted warming of the environment during hot summer periods. The aim of this project is to develop new prototypes of urban water bodies that actually really cool the environment. We will study which configurations of shading, evaporation and ventilation objects around the water bodies will improve the cooling with urban climate simulations. We will also test such new water bodies on their visual appeal and their fit with other urban functions in a consortium with other designers, consultants and municipalities. The outcome of this Research Through Design project are design prototypes for really cooling urban water bodies to be implemented by urban design professionals.
Within this project, the postdoc will do the introductory analyses, generate the designs, cooperate on the urban climate simulations with the urban meteorologist from HvA, process and analyse the results and guide the testing rounds with the transdisciplinary panel. The postdoc will form the pivotal figure in the research team.
The postdoc to have the following personal competences: creativity, an academic attitude, interdisciplinary scope, a collaborative and proactive personality.
In general, we expect the successful candidate to:
- hold a PhD in landscape architecture or urban design
- have substantial experience in design of urban public spaces
- have substantial experience in designing with water and/or urban climate issues in the city
- have experience in project and workshop coordination
- be able to work with common design software (GIS, AutoCAD or similar)
- connect well with stakeholders and citizens involved in workshops and online inquiries
- have excellent communicative and writing skills
- have excellent command of English
- be willing to learn Dutch (non-Dutch candidates)
Applications for this position should be submitted before 1 March 2016.
More information via: http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Jobs/Vacancies/Show/Postdoc-for-the-REALCOOL-project.htm